Skip to main content

How To Make Origami Bookmarks

How To Make Origami Bookmarks


It is always useful to have a bookmark at hand when you are reading. Bookmarks are so useful because not only do they keep your page, but they do it without damaging the spine of your book.


An Origami Bookmark is a bookmark that slides onto the corner of your page so that you know where you are going to start reading from when you next go to read your book


Here is a simple procedure of how to make one at home. 


You will need:

One square piece of paper


Method:

Step 1:  Place the piece of paper in front of you so that it looks like a diamond.

Step 2:  Fold the bottom corner up to the top corner, so that you see a triangle.

Step 3:  Fold the two side corners up to the top corner so that you see a diamond.

Step 4:  Unfold your last two folds.

Step 5:  Fold the first flap from the top corner down to the bottom

Step 6:  Bring the flap from the left hand side over to the middle.

Step 7:  Fold the top half of the flap that you folded in the last step and put it under the middle flap

Step 8:  Repeat with the other flap


And there you go, your basic corner bookmark is finished!


If you have mastered that one and want to try something a little bit harder, you could try this origami heart bookmark. This one isn’t a corner bookmark but it does have a bit at the top that you can slot your page into.


You Will Need

One rectangular piece of paper


Method

Step 1:  Place the piece of paper in front of you with the side that you don’t want to see facing upwards.

Step 2:  Fold one of the top corners across the bookmark.

Step 3:  Unfold it again so that you can still see the line where you folded.

Step 4:  Fold the top down to the line that you made on tour last fold.

Step 5:  Unfold it again.

Step 7:  Fold your whole page in half and unfold it again.

Step 8:  Fold the bottom corners into the centre crease.

Step 9:  Fold the edges to the centre crease.

Step 10:  Fold the edges to the centre again and then unfold them.

Step 11:  Fold down the bottom so that it looks like a mountain on the existing fold.

Step 12:  Fold in the corners and unfold them again.

Step 13:  Unfold the fold that you did in step 11.

Step 14:  Push in the sides so that the edges collapse slightly using the creases that you just made.

Step 15:  Bring the top fold behind and flatten you bookmark.

Step 16:  Fold the edges of the corners in towards the space between the two halves of your sheet.

Step 17:  Fold the sides of the paper, not including the bit that you folded behind your bookmark, into the middle.

Step 18:  Do a tiny fold on the tips of the corner - peaks inwards.

Step 19:  Turn over your bookmark.

Step 20:  Fold the corners so that they lad in the middle of the two main bits of paper.

Step 21:  Enjoy!



We really hope that you enjoyed learning how to make origami bookmarks. Send pictures of your creations to us via snapchat [thebookcorner20] or instagram [@thebookcorner2020]


Happy Reading

The Book Corner


Thanks to Jo Nakashima and Red Ted Art whose videos showed us how to make these bookmarks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Future by Neassa

 Hi guys, I know Saoirse wrote a post about her future with the business, what we see happening in the future and where we want this to go. Although I love the sound of here future, I have my own path ahead of me, and it's a bit different. If you haven't read Saoirse's plans, they are: Writing blog posts and maintaining website (year-round, but specifically during COVID and winter) Car boots sales on Saturdays/Sundays during the year and a pop-up stall in summer. (After COVID and while I’m still in school) Pop-up stall as a part-time job (while in college) Actual shop (after graduating) As Saoirse mentioned in her post, right now we are living the dream. Just two normal sisters doing what they love to do. How could that be a bad thing? I am happy and content with we are doing right now, but don't feel as though that will always be the case. I, of course, want to stay a part of this business for as long as I possibly can, but I also have always wanted to be a teacher. I

Reading Consistently: A Quick Guide

Well hello there :), We are gathered today to discuss something that is an amalgamation (spell check? absolutely) of two topics I find quite interesting: reading (obviously) and habit-building. Yes, yes I am a nerd. I have decided to embrace this fact today. I just find it so intriguing how some people have certain habits while some don’t. Of course, many habits are built when someone is a young child, but I think everyone has the power to build new, or change old, habits given the correct tools. So, today I am going to talk about building a reading habit. This is, in my opinion, one of the best habits you can have. It has many benefits, which I’ll do another post on, but briefly some are: increased empathy and vocabulary, better quality sleep and less stress. Just before jumping in, I want to just say: I am no expert. BUT I think I can provide valid advice on building reading habits, as I have a healthy reading habit, experience building my own habits and I have (nerdily) watched coun

Reading indoors vs. Reading outdoors

  Hi all, it’s Neassa and today I’m going to be listing the pros and cons of reading indoors versus reading outdoors, to find out which one reigns supreme! Just to begin, I would like to point out that I enjoy reading indoors and outdoors, so I am curious to see which one will win the battle of the reading spot. Reading indoors: Pros You are always warm and dry When you are reading indoors, the temperature doesn’t change along with the time, so i can begin to read when it was sunny and read straight through a thunderstorm without even noticing. The room will stay heated, I’ll stay cosy (and oblivious at times!) and everything is just right. You have the comfy chairs. I don’t know about you guys, but we have the most comfortable chairs inside. There are a few garden chairs outside, but they are not as comfortable as the big, cushioned chair where I love to curl up with a good book! You can play music When I am reading, I love to play soft, relaxing music that is said to improve concentr