Skip to main content

Our Review of Goodreads

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Goodreads is one of our all-time favourite book-related websites. It truly covers all of our bookish needs, from keeping track of our books to connecting with other like-minded readers.

Because of this, we decided to put together a list of pros and cons to using the Goodreads website.

What is Goodreads?
Goodreads is a website (and app) that helps you track the books that you are reading, the books you want to read and the books you have already read. 

You can set yearly challenges and see how well you can do on them. 

You can write reviews about books you have read and see what other people say about the books you are thinking of reading. 

You can also add your friends (if they have Goodreads), and see what they’ve been reading.

And much, much more...



Pros
  • It’s completely free! For us, this is the biggest pro, as paying for Goodreads would mean fewer reviews from other members and less chance of getting your questions answered.

  • You can read what other people thought of the book you are thinking about reading, which can help you decide whether or not it is a book you would like to read.

  • You can ask questions about the book and people who have read the book can help you get the answer.

  • You can set yearly challenges for yourself and it is completely up to you how many books you want to challenge yourself to read.

  • You can make a list of books that you want to read so that you can remember the books you are interested in.

  • You can make as many “shelves” as you want. A shelf on Goodreads is a category that all of the books that you put on that shelf fall under.

  • You can do quizzes on different topics and test your book knowledge.

  • You can follow authors you enjoy reading and see what books they enjoy.

  • Goodreads often publishes blog posts about books and reading that are interesting to read.

  • You can look at quotes from books that you are thinking about reading that give you a little insight into the book, which can help you decide to read the book or not.

  • They have a part of their site that is dedicated to making lists that can help you figure out what book you should read based on the mood you're in.  

  • You can publish your own short stories and enter them into competitions. 



Cons
  • Because of the fact that all reviews are public, you may be exposed to spoilers, thus ruining the book you were about to read. Goodreads does allow you to mark your own reviews as containing spoilers, but sometimes people forget and you wind up seeing the ending of the book you just bought.

  • As most of the books listed on Goodreads were added by members, there can be duplicates. For example, there may be the Maze Runner books all in separately, but there could also be the box set of Maze Runner books listed separately.

  • Parts of the website are quite complicated, and it may take a beginner some time to get used to it.

  • They run a giveaway program, but it is only available for people in the U.S and Canada. So no free books for us in Ireland :(.

So, all in all, we think that Goodreads is a great site and we would recommend you trying it. If you make an account, don’t forget to friend us!
Happy reading,
The Book Corner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Future by Neassa

 Hi guys, I know Saoirse wrote a post about her future with the business, what we see happening in the future and where we want this to go. Although I love the sound of here future, I have my own path ahead of me, and it's a bit different. If you haven't read Saoirse's plans, they are: Writing blog posts and maintaining website (year-round, but specifically during COVID and winter) Car boots sales on Saturdays/Sundays during the year and a pop-up stall in summer. (After COVID and while I’m still in school) Pop-up stall as a part-time job (while in college) Actual shop (after graduating) As Saoirse mentioned in her post, right now we are living the dream. Just two normal sisters doing what they love to do. How could that be a bad thing? I am happy and content with we are doing right now, but don't feel as though that will always be the case. I, of course, want to stay a part of this business for as long as I possibly can, but I also have always wanted to be a teacher. I

Reading Consistently: A Quick Guide

Well hello there :), We are gathered today to discuss something that is an amalgamation (spell check? absolutely) of two topics I find quite interesting: reading (obviously) and habit-building. Yes, yes I am a nerd. I have decided to embrace this fact today. I just find it so intriguing how some people have certain habits while some don’t. Of course, many habits are built when someone is a young child, but I think everyone has the power to build new, or change old, habits given the correct tools. So, today I am going to talk about building a reading habit. This is, in my opinion, one of the best habits you can have. It has many benefits, which I’ll do another post on, but briefly some are: increased empathy and vocabulary, better quality sleep and less stress. Just before jumping in, I want to just say: I am no expert. BUT I think I can provide valid advice on building reading habits, as I have a healthy reading habit, experience building my own habits and I have (nerdily) watched coun

Reading indoors vs. Reading outdoors

  Hi all, it’s Neassa and today I’m going to be listing the pros and cons of reading indoors versus reading outdoors, to find out which one reigns supreme! Just to begin, I would like to point out that I enjoy reading indoors and outdoors, so I am curious to see which one will win the battle of the reading spot. Reading indoors: Pros You are always warm and dry When you are reading indoors, the temperature doesn’t change along with the time, so i can begin to read when it was sunny and read straight through a thunderstorm without even noticing. The room will stay heated, I’ll stay cosy (and oblivious at times!) and everything is just right. You have the comfy chairs. I don’t know about you guys, but we have the most comfortable chairs inside. There are a few garden chairs outside, but they are not as comfortable as the big, cushioned chair where I love to curl up with a good book! You can play music When I am reading, I love to play soft, relaxing music that is said to improve concentr