Skip to main content

Our Favourite Books

    Our Favourite Books

We have decided to do this blog post a little bit differently than normal. Instead of us writing the blog post on the perspective of both of us at the same time, we are going to split this blog post in half, I (Neassa) am going to write half of it in my perspective and Saoirse is going to do the other half in hers.


Neassa


What is your favourite reading genre?


My favourite genre of books is fiction. I like a lot of the categories included in that genre like fantasy and comedy. I like to read books that are really different from the last book that I read. That’s why I often go from books like the Hunger Games to books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid.


My very favourite part of fiction is fantasy. I really like reading about witches and wizards, but in quite a realistic way. My second favourite part of fiction is books that are really dramatic and a bit sad.


Who is your favourite author?


My favourite author is probably Jacquline Wilson, although it changes with great regularity. I like Jacquline Wilson because she writes books that are a bit sad but in a realistic way. Her books are mostly about girls who are going through family trouble.


My second favourite author is James Patterson. He writes books that are really funny and can always make me laugh. Although his books are really funny, they can also be a bit sad and he always has an amazing storyline full of jokes.


What is your favourite book series?


My favourite book series is Skullduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. This series is about a skeleton detective and his young sidekick. I really like this series because although they are a little bit dark, they are still really funny.


My second favourite book series is Harry Potter. I like these books because they are written in a way that makes you feel like you are actually at Hogwarts with Harry.


What is your favourite book?


My favourite book is currentlyThe Hunger Games: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.This book is about Catniss Everdeen, a girl who is sent into an arena to kill twenty-three other people - again. I like it because although it is very dark at times, it is still very realistic.

My second favourite book is The Maze Runner by James Dashner. This book is about a group of teenagers who are captured in a maze by a group called Wicked. I like this book because it had my brain working hard to keep up with the story.


Who is your favourite book character? 


My favourite book character is Tanith Low from Skulduggery Pleasant. I really like her because she is a strong, funny person. She gets stuck as a bad guy in some of the books and it is one of my favourite parts of the series when she becomes good again.


My second favourite character is Hermione Granger from Harry Potter. I like her because I feel like we have a lot in common. She is a smart, hardworking girl who often finds herself in difficult positions. 



Saoirse

What is your favourite reading genre?

My favourite reading genre is probably young adult dystopian novels. I love the idea of these many and varied ideas for the future. I also really enjoy young adult romance novels. 


Who is your favourite author?

This is a very difficult question! I love books more than authors, to be honest. I am more attached to specific characters than the author who created them. That being said, I always really enjoy Derek Landy’s books, especially his Skulduggery Pleasant series. They are always very funny and original, and his dedications make me laugh out loud.


What is your favourite book series?

These questions just keep getting harder to answer! I really love the Harry Potter series, but The Hunger Games by Susanne Collins and the Divergent series by Veronica Roth are brilliant too. Harry Potter I have loved for a long time, but the other two are more recent additions.


What is your favourite book?

I could never answer that question with just one book - or even ten. It’s like asking a mother to name her favourite child. But I will try. For the sake of a shorter paragraph, I won’t mention any of the books I have listed above or any I will list below. 


I love, love love Black Beauty and have done since I was young. This still surprises me, as it isn’t an easy book to read, especially for an eight year old which was how old I was when I first read it.


Another brilliant book is one I have only read recently: Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I loved this book because its original depiction of vampires. I especially loved the description of Edward Cullen, the main vampire in the book.


I also love the book Once by Morris Gleitzman. His writing style and depiction of World War Two are truly unique. Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy all the other books in the series quite as much.  


Who is your favourite book character?

Ok, another vampire book here: my favourite fictional character is probably Claire from The Morganville Vampires. I really relate to her nerdiness (more about that in another blog post maybe?), if not her love life. 


Hermonie Granger (Harry Potter, duh) is another of my all-time favourites. She is also nerdy like me, but maybe a bit braver.


We won’t get into all the fictional characters I want to marry here, that’s a subject for another blog post…


So there you have it! Our favourite books. 


We hope you enjoyed this article. We are considering writing more articles in this style: our two separate (but similar) views on a topic. We think this is a better, more interesting and more enjoyable way to write (and read!) an article.


Did you enjoy this article? Would you enjoy more like this one? What  do you think of the books we mentioned? Tell us in the comments below!


Happy reading,

Saoirse and Neassa


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Consistently: A Quick Guide

Well hello there :), We are gathered today to discuss something that is an amalgamation (spell check? absolutely) of two topics I find quite interesting: reading (obviously) and habit-building. Yes, yes I am a nerd. I have decided to embrace this fact today. I just find it so intriguing how some people have certain habits while some don’t. Of course, many habits are built when someone is a young child, but I think everyone has the power to build new, or change old, habits given the correct tools. So, today I am going to talk about building a reading habit. This is, in my opinion, one of the best habits you can have. It has many benefits, which I’ll do another post on, but briefly some are: increased empathy and vocabulary, better quality sleep and less stress. Just before jumping in, I want to just say: I am no expert. BUT I think I can provide valid advice on building reading habits, as I have a healthy reading habit, experience building my own habits and I have (nerdily) watched coun

The Future by Neassa

 Hi guys, I know Saoirse wrote a post about her future with the business, what we see happening in the future and where we want this to go. Although I love the sound of here future, I have my own path ahead of me, and it's a bit different. If you haven't read Saoirse's plans, they are: Writing blog posts and maintaining website (year-round, but specifically during COVID and winter) Car boots sales on Saturdays/Sundays during the year and a pop-up stall in summer. (After COVID and while I’m still in school) Pop-up stall as a part-time job (while in college) Actual shop (after graduating) As Saoirse mentioned in her post, right now we are living the dream. Just two normal sisters doing what they love to do. How could that be a bad thing? I am happy and content with we are doing right now, but don't feel as though that will always be the case. I, of course, want to stay a part of this business for as long as I possibly can, but I also have always wanted to be a teacher. I

Reading indoors vs. Reading outdoors

  Hi all, it’s Neassa and today I’m going to be listing the pros and cons of reading indoors versus reading outdoors, to find out which one reigns supreme! Just to begin, I would like to point out that I enjoy reading indoors and outdoors, so I am curious to see which one will win the battle of the reading spot. Reading indoors: Pros You are always warm and dry When you are reading indoors, the temperature doesn’t change along with the time, so i can begin to read when it was sunny and read straight through a thunderstorm without even noticing. The room will stay heated, I’ll stay cosy (and oblivious at times!) and everything is just right. You have the comfy chairs. I don’t know about you guys, but we have the most comfortable chairs inside. There are a few garden chairs outside, but they are not as comfortable as the big, cushioned chair where I love to curl up with a good book! You can play music When I am reading, I love to play soft, relaxing music that is said to improve concentr