Skip to main content

Reading Consistently: A Quick Guide

Well hello there :),

We are gathered today to discuss something that is an amalgamation (spell check? absolutely) of two topics I find quite interesting: reading (obviously) and habit-building. Yes, yes I am a nerd. I have decided to embrace this fact today.

I just find it so intriguing how some people have certain habits while some don’t. Of course, many habits are built when someone is a young child, but I think everyone has the power to build new, or change old, habits given the correct tools.


So, today I am going to talk about building a reading habit. This is, in my opinion, one of the best habits you can have. It has many benefits, which I’ll do another post on, but briefly some are: increased empathy and vocabulary, better quality sleep and less stress.


Just before jumping in, I want to just say: I am no expert. BUT I think I can provide valid advice on building reading habits, as I have a healthy reading habit, experience building my own habits and I have (nerdily) watched countless of habit-building videos. I have also listened to James Clear’s great book, Atomic Habits, which provides a solid amount of useful habit-building advice.


So, what would my (un)qualified self recommended as steps to building a consistent reading habit? Let’s get into it…


  1. Pick when you will read


If you want to create a consistent habit it isn’t enough to just say “I’ll do it today”. When will you do it? If you don’t set a specific time to read it will be pushed off and pushed off until it’s never done.


I would personally recommend reading just before bed, as it is very relaxing, but it is up to you.


  1. Pick what you will read (and choose wisely)


Especially when you are first building a habit, the key to consistency is enjoyment. If you are trying to read frequently, pick a book that excites you. This way you will look forward to it more, making the habit stick.


  1. Don't Expect Great Things (At First)

    Try not to approach reading with all these lofty hopes and then have it all come crashing down. Reading is 100% worth the time and energy, but you may not see that at the start. And that is fully OK. Just have patience with yourself - even if you don't enjoy reading at the start, given a little time (and the right books) you will come to look forward to it!

  1. Remove distractions 



My (and most other people’s!) main barrier to reading is technology, especially phones. Those screens can be so addictive and can just get in the way of so many habits, especially reading.


If you see yourself facing this challenge, try removing the obstacle before you start. An example of this could be putting a ‘bedtime’ lock on your phone for when you want to read. A lot of phones have settings where you can lock them for a certain period of time. This way, you simply cannot be distracted.


  1.  Write down your why


I know, I know, another thing to do?! Can’t I just start reading and hope for the best?? Well, you could but you’d be less likely to stick with it long-term. Writing your why tells your brain “I really want to do this!” and will help motivate you when you are struggling.


6. Don't break the Chain



Fun fact: I journaled for 2 months straight (I think) during the first lockdown. That's 60 days. In my opinion, the reason that I was able to do this was because of two techniques: writing down my why (see above) and not breaking the chain. This is a simple yet effective system that works as a tracker, motivator and reward. Sound good? Here's how I did it:

1 I drew a square calendar on a piece of paper, with one square/rectangle for each day in a month. 

2 Each day I placed a big X across the appropriate dated box when I had journaled.

3 Soon they began to build up and build up, motivating me: I couldn't break the chain.

Simple but effective. 


7.       Enjoy It!



Try your best to find a way to enjoy your reading habit. Maybe you could eat or drink something like coffee or chocolate while you read. Perhaps you could listen to some nice music in the background or even have a bath while reading. 

Whatever you choose to do, try to make it as enjoyable as possible so your reading habit can stick quickly and smoothly.


As I have said before (and will say again) reading is a great habit, one very worth picking up. The hardest part is getting started, so go out there and make a start today! I hope I've made it just a tiny bit easier for you with my advice :).


Good luck and happy reading!

Saoirse


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Future by Neassa

 Hi guys, I know Saoirse wrote a post about her future with the business, what we see happening in the future and where we want this to go. Although I love the sound of here future, I have my own path ahead of me, and it's a bit different. If you haven't read Saoirse's plans, they are: Writing blog posts and maintaining website (year-round, but specifically during COVID and winter) Car boots sales on Saturdays/Sundays during the year and a pop-up stall in summer. (After COVID and while I’m still in school) Pop-up stall as a part-time job (while in college) Actual shop (after graduating) As Saoirse mentioned in her post, right now we are living the dream. Just two normal sisters doing what they love to do. How could that be a bad thing? I am happy and content with we are doing right now, but don't feel as though that will always be the case. I, of course, want to stay a part of this business for as long as I possibly can, but I also have always wanted to be a teacher. I

Reading indoors vs. Reading outdoors

  Hi all, it’s Neassa and today I’m going to be listing the pros and cons of reading indoors versus reading outdoors, to find out which one reigns supreme! Just to begin, I would like to point out that I enjoy reading indoors and outdoors, so I am curious to see which one will win the battle of the reading spot. Reading indoors: Pros You are always warm and dry When you are reading indoors, the temperature doesn’t change along with the time, so i can begin to read when it was sunny and read straight through a thunderstorm without even noticing. The room will stay heated, I’ll stay cosy (and oblivious at times!) and everything is just right. You have the comfy chairs. I don’t know about you guys, but we have the most comfortable chairs inside. There are a few garden chairs outside, but they are not as comfortable as the big, cushioned chair where I love to curl up with a good book! You can play music When I am reading, I love to play soft, relaxing music that is said to improve concentr