Skip to main content

Reading indoors vs. Reading outdoors

 Hi all, it’s Neassa and today I’m going to be listing the pros and cons of reading indoors versus reading outdoors, to find out which one reigns supreme! Just to begin, I would like to point out that I enjoy reading indoors and outdoors, so I am curious to see which one will win the battle of the reading spot.


Reading indoors: Pros

  1. You are always warm and dry

When you are reading indoors, the temperature doesn’t change along with the time, so i can begin to read when it was sunny and read straight through a thunderstorm without even noticing. The room will stay heated, I’ll stay cosy (and oblivious at times!) and everything is just right.


  1. You have the comfy chairs.

I don’t know about you guys, but we have the most comfortable chairs inside. There are a few garden chairs outside, but they are not as comfortable as the big, cushioned chair where I love to curl up with a good book!


  1. You can play music

When I am reading, I love to play soft, relaxing music that is said to improve concentration. I feel as though, when I have that music on, I get more involved in the book and enjoy it more as a result! When I am indoors, I have my phone or a nearby speaker on which I can play this music, but I have no such things outdoors.


  1. Easy access to more books!

If there’s one thing I hate when I’m really comfortable and reading away happily, it’s having to get up! So finishing a book can be a big problem, because I want to get another one. When I’m outdoors I have to ruin all of the comfort I had made for myself to go and get one, while when I’m inside, there is always a new book at hand!


Reading outdoors: Pros


  1. Fresh air

When reading outdoors, I have an unlimited supply of fresh air, while when I am inside it can get quite stuffy. As I mentioned before, there is nothing worse than reading comfortably and needing to get up and do something. When I’m inside, I have to open the window, ruining my comfort, but there is no such issue outside.


  1. Less distractions

When I am reading inside, there is often a huge, crazy distraction, also known as my little brother, Donnacha, who always seems to be particularly loud when I’m trying to read inside. When I’m outside, it is much more peaceful and  quiet, which makes for a better reading experience.


  1. I can be surrounded by nature

Whether I’m reading in the “Great Outdoors” or just my back garden, there is always loads of nature around me, so the rare time I look up from my book, there are birds or my rabbit or some nice trees to make me smile before I continue reading once again.


  1. It’s more fun!

I don’t know about you guys, but for me it’s a lot more fun to read outside, as more interesting things happen when I am outside and so I don’t get bored while reading. I just find it more fun!


Well, now we have discussed the pros, it’s time or the cons.


Reading inside cons:


  1.  Distractions

As I said earlier, there are more distractions inside, especially from my little brother. This makes reading difficult and sometimes even impossible. In my opinion, the less distractions the better! 


  1. Having to get up more

When I am reading inside, there are more reasons for me to have to ruin my state of comfort, like having to open a window or help my little brother with something, while there are no such problems outside.


  1. Boring surroundings

WhenI am reading inside, there isn’t very much to look up at and smile when I’m taking a break from reading. While this isn’t a real problem for most people, I like having interesting scenery surrounding me while I read.


Reading outside cons:


  1. It can be quite Uncomfortable

When reading outside, I am often sitting on a bench or an outdoor seat. While there is nothing wrong with either of those two things, they simply aren’t as comfortable as indoor seating.


  1. It can get really cold

When I am reading outside, it almost always gets cold and I’m forced inside. Inside, I have no such problems. Of all of the cons, this is the most annoying for me as I hate being cold.


  1. I often forget my book and it gets damaged

I am one of those people who, when they are done reading for a while, puts their book down where they are for later. Often it will be the next day before I remember my book. That is ok when I’m inside, but if ‘m outside, then the book can get ruined over night.


Well, I guess it’s a draw, so I’ll leave it up to you, Indoor reading or outdoor reading?


Let us know what you think


Happy Reading

The Book Corner

Neassa


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Future by Neassa

 Hi guys, I know Saoirse wrote a post about her future with the business, what we see happening in the future and where we want this to go. Although I love the sound of here future, I have my own path ahead of me, and it's a bit different. If you haven't read Saoirse's plans, they are: Writing blog posts and maintaining website (year-round, but specifically during COVID and winter) Car boots sales on Saturdays/Sundays during the year and a pop-up stall in summer. (After COVID and while I’m still in school) Pop-up stall as a part-time job (while in college) Actual shop (after graduating) As Saoirse mentioned in her post, right now we are living the dream. Just two normal sisters doing what they love to do. How could that be a bad thing? I am happy and content with we are doing right now, but don't feel as though that will always be the case. I, of course, want to stay a part of this business for as long as I possibly can, but I also have always wanted to be a teacher. I

Reading Consistently: A Quick Guide

Well hello there :), We are gathered today to discuss something that is an amalgamation (spell check? absolutely) of two topics I find quite interesting: reading (obviously) and habit-building. Yes, yes I am a nerd. I have decided to embrace this fact today. I just find it so intriguing how some people have certain habits while some don’t. Of course, many habits are built when someone is a young child, but I think everyone has the power to build new, or change old, habits given the correct tools. So, today I am going to talk about building a reading habit. This is, in my opinion, one of the best habits you can have. It has many benefits, which I’ll do another post on, but briefly some are: increased empathy and vocabulary, better quality sleep and less stress. Just before jumping in, I want to just say: I am no expert. BUT I think I can provide valid advice on building reading habits, as I have a healthy reading habit, experience building my own habits and I have (nerdily) watched coun