Skip to main content

Why I Am Re-Reading My Old Books Again

 Why I Am Re-Reading My Old Books Again


I’ve decided to do a more personal post today: why I am choosing to mainly re-read books for a little while.


I have obviously read a good few of my books 2 or 3 times, but I have ever decided to do it with multiple books in a row.


Since I have been reviewing all the books I am reading, I have decided to do a post as to why most will (probably) be re-reads.



I usually read prolifically every month, mainly books I haven’t read before. I get new (well, secondhand new) books at least a month.


I usually have a 50/50 split between books and genres I know little about and books and genres I know and like.


This usually works just fine for me, but lately I have wanted a change.



This is in the main because of COVID. To be honest, I cruised through 2020, but 2021 hit like a ton of bricks.


I have been in online school since January. I have on average 8 classes online every day (and by that I mean Zoom call) for at least 40 minutes each. Plus homework. Plus no face-to-face contact with my friends.


I do 100% understand why this is necessary and realize I have it lucky. I am safe, healthy and have not lost anyone to this virus.


But, at the same time, this is still hard for me. Online classes are a new level of exhausting I couldn’t have imagined from school. I appreciate the effort from the teachers, but in some ways school online is more intense than physical school.


My mental health is more vulnerable than ever. So I have turned, in part, to books to help me escape this reality. 


More recently, however, I have found it difficult to find new books that interest me. This is due, in part , to the lack of supply. So my old books are calling to me more and more.



I feel that re-reading will help my ‘interest crisis’ and my mental health by giving me a sense of comfort. Reading these books is almost like coming home in a way. I am surrounded by characters I feel I know intimately in a book I have read before and know to be good.


These are books that have survived many shelf purges because of their quality. They are the best of the best, my top books. And yes, some of them are sad, but they are sad in a good way, a familiar way.



Here is a brief list of the books I’m planning on re-reading and why. If you are reading this a little while after it is posted I will include a link to their review.



Divergent

A story of a girl who is standing out in a world where it is a lot safer to fit in.

I am re-reading it because it is the first dystopian (set in the future) young adult book I read with a female main character and I love it. It is part of a trilogy. Will I be crying? Yes, absolutely, but in a good way.




The Hunger Games

The story of a girl who has to kill to survive.

Another female-led dystopian novel. Another brilliant protagonist. More death. What more could you ask for?





Black Beauty

The story of a horse’s life.

Possibly the oldest and most re-read book I have. I honestly don’t know why, but it calls to me. I’m not a massive horse fan, but Beauty is a brilliant character.






Glass Houses

About a girl who moves into a town filled with vampires.

I can really relate to the main character in this (15 book!) series. She is a nerd, just like me. Probably braver than me though - I don’t think I could stand up to a vampire queen!






Skullduggery Pleasant

Yet another girl - this time a skeleton’s sidekick.

I love this series because of how funny it is. The dedications especially always crack me up.





So that wraps up this blog post. Hopefully my re-reading books can lead to even better book reviews for you guys (fingers crossed!). I’ll let you know how I get on when I review them.


Happy reading,

Saoirse


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Buy Books For And With Your Child

  A key component of reading is, well, books! And if your child doesn’t have any they want to read they won’t read. Period. So it is vital that your child has access to books they want to read. All The. Time. Especially if they are hesitant to read in the first place. With this in mind, I have created a list of hints and tips to help your child to pick books for themselves, along with some bonus tips on how to pick books for them yourself. No pressure to pick Make sure your child knows there is no pressure to pick a book at all. You are just going for a look, and if they pick it’s a bonus.  This can help to pick more enjoyable books as they are likely to buy books they actually want to read, rather than picking books for the sake of it. Money Is No Object At least at first, focusing on the price of the books will deter your child from picking the more expensive ones, that they may want more. While many book shops can be expensive, we would argue that it is worth it to encourage them to

Reading Consistently: A Quick Guide

Well hello there :), We are gathered today to discuss something that is an amalgamation (spell check? absolutely) of two topics I find quite interesting: reading (obviously) and habit-building. Yes, yes I am a nerd. I have decided to embrace this fact today. I just find it so intriguing how some people have certain habits while some don’t. Of course, many habits are built when someone is a young child, but I think everyone has the power to build new, or change old, habits given the correct tools. So, today I am going to talk about building a reading habit. This is, in my opinion, one of the best habits you can have. It has many benefits, which I’ll do another post on, but briefly some are: increased empathy and vocabulary, better quality sleep and less stress. Just before jumping in, I want to just say: I am no expert. BUT I think I can provide valid advice on building reading habits, as I have a healthy reading habit, experience building my own habits and I have (nerdily) watched coun

The Future by Neassa

 Hi guys, I know Saoirse wrote a post about her future with the business, what we see happening in the future and where we want this to go. Although I love the sound of here future, I have my own path ahead of me, and it's a bit different. If you haven't read Saoirse's plans, they are: Writing blog posts and maintaining website (year-round, but specifically during COVID and winter) Car boots sales on Saturdays/Sundays during the year and a pop-up stall in summer. (After COVID and while I’m still in school) Pop-up stall as a part-time job (while in college) Actual shop (after graduating) As Saoirse mentioned in her post, right now we are living the dream. Just two normal sisters doing what they love to do. How could that be a bad thing? I am happy and content with we are doing right now, but don't feel as though that will always be the case. I, of course, want to stay a part of this business for as long as I possibly can, but I also have always wanted to be a teacher. I